mods & tweaks, reviews & musings about motorcycles, parts, & accessories

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A few more bike mods..

A few mods..

Since getting the ims tank, i've been tinkering with a few other mods, getting ready for next weeks ride in Utah.  Here's a few of them.

Radiator guard.  Flatlands.






LED tail light, brake light, turn signal combo.

I added this to the existing brake & tail light, but removed the stock blinkers.  I might add a couple more led blinkers later.

I re worked the light housing & plate holder & added a pipe standoff for my saddlebags.








Open up airbox more..

I don't know if it helps much, but i decided to open up the air box some more.. it didn't seem like the basic flapper mod gives more air flow, & i didn't see any reason to keep the whole top of the air box, if i was going to hack it up, anyway.  I would gain maybe an inch if i get underwater.. an event i seldom encounter, so i just took off the top.

I used a small drill bit to take out the plastic rivets.. i didn't drill them all the way down, just the tops.



Then i popped off the top with a small screwdriver.. no problems.



Pull it off.. no snorkel, but no restrictions, either.




I was able to put my alloy tire iron/wrench combos, a spark plug wrench, Tow strap, & a small bicycle pump with CO2 filler under the seat.  it doesn't block the air flow, & gives some useful storage.

Stebel Nautilus horn.
I loved my *loud* horn on my drz, so i kept it when i switched to the yamaha.  I had to split it.. the pump from the horn, but i was able to put it under the shroud.  I rewired, remounted it a couple of times, then ended up with the pump beside the radiator overflow, & the horn where the old horn was.  You can see it in the pics below.

Left side protection.

Since i decided to leave off the scoops & shrouds for a bit, i thought some better protection for the stuff on the left side would be in order.

I put in a couple of box aluminum struts from the frame to the bracket that supports everything on this side.



Then i made up a screen, & put an angle aluminum brace between the struts.  This attaches to the steel brace.







New tank panniers.. Kolpins.
I raised them up so my knees could slide under them when i slid forward on my bizarre but practical seat.



It's rough. it's rustic.  It looks like something out of Mad Max.  But it works & it's ready for next week's adventure!



scotty

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Semi-retired home builder. Musician. Former adventure rider. Philosopher. Innovator. Tech freak, genealogist, golfer. Cosmic Watcher.