mods & tweaks, reviews & musings about motorcycles, parts, & accessories

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

IMS 3.1 gallon natural tank

9/7/10

Well, today the delivery person brought this:



It came with the instructions, cap & hose, the tank, & the scoop clips.  I read the instructions carefully.. in a nutshell, it says,

Step 1.
"Remove old tank".
Step 2.
"Install new tank".




I had to ride over to Cottonwood before the MVD closed for my son's truck, but it was open another 2 hours so i surely had time to put the tank on.

I pulled the seat, all the tank bolts, unclipped the wire connection (that was the hardest), & pulled off the fuel line.

The electrical clip has a snap that holds it connected on one end of the connector.  You have to pry up that snap then it pops off.

The fuel line has an orange slider thingy that slides to one side, exposing some blue tabs.  Push those tabs & the hose pops off.

Naturally, i had a full tank.  I poured it into a gas can.. got most of it in.  Then i took off all the parts on the old tank, put them on the new tank, & put it on.  It took me about an hour, but i didn't get the plastic on.. i had to ride!














I roared off to Cottonwood.. about 25 miles away, & barely made it to the mvd before they locked the doors.

I haven't filled it, yet, & unfortunately i put some gas in, so i won't know the total from empty.  But the reserve light came on when i got home.. probably still about 1 gal. in there, still.  I'll fill it up & see how much it holds from the reserve coming on.

Anyway, it took me about an hour.  Everything fit fine.. no fitment issues at all.  I got a little gas on me when transferring from the old tank.. run yours as dry as you can before swapping it out.  It will not drain out the bottom fuel pump assembly.  I had to pour it out the filler hole.

But i can see the fuel line on the tank.. it says it is '3.1' gal.  So this looks like a keeper.  I might eventually fabricate some other trim pieces.. i don't think we really need the wide scoops.  But without them, hot air blows right on your knee from the radiator.  Otherwise, i might stay with the 'mad max' look for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Semi-retired home builder. Musician. Former adventure rider. Philosopher. Innovator. Tech freak, genealogist, golfer. Cosmic Watcher.